Football: Cahill ruled out of Australia squad

 

LONDON Oct 4 — Everton midfielder Tim Cahill has been ruled out of Australia’s squad for their World Cup qualifying matches against Malaysia and Oman, his club announced on Monday.

The 31-year-old had been scheduled to fly home for the two matches, which will take place in Canberra on Friday and in Sydney next Tuesday.

But Everton’s medical staff said he would require more time to recover from an ankle injury sustained in a duel with Manchester City defender Vincent Kompany in Everton’s 2-0 loss on September 24.

“Tim played through the pain barrier on Saturday against Liverpool but the scan showed that the best course of action now is rest and rehab,” Everton’s head of medicine Danny Donachie told the club website.

“Tim is disappointed but it is a straightforward decision because he would not be fit enough to play in the games in Australia.” — AFP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.